Sunday, December 15, 2013

Zucchini & Scallion Corncakes

I love Manager's Special deals at Kroger and frequently challenge myself see if I can get what we need by finding veggies, fruit, cheese, milk and meat on manager's special. I purchased a few tubs of Alouette Garlic & Herb cheese and popped them in the freezer. Whenever I want to use one, I'll take it out that morning and since it's soft spreadable cheese, it'll thaw in a few hours. On the inside of the label, I saw a recipe for Cheesy Pancake Bites.  It consisted of eight ingredients that I had on hand and was super easy to make. I needed an appetizer for a Christmas dinner we were attending and I decided to make these. I wanted to jazz them up and little and found a zucchini in the crisper drawer.  I also love the mouth feel and taste of cornmeal, so I tweaked the recipe a bit to include it.

I just realized I never took a picture of the finished product.  Here is the original recipe if you prefer to use it and you can also see a photo of these guys.

Zucchini & Scallion Corncakes

1 (6.5 oz) container of Aloutte Garlic & Herb cheese, divided in half
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup self rising cornmeal
3/4 cup water
2 scallions, finely chopped (1 is to put in the pancakes, 1 is for garnishing)
1/2 zucchini, grated
1 egg or 3 tbsp of Egg Beaters All Whites ( I used this because I didn't have any whole eggs, but I always have egg whites)
salt & pepper
oil of your choice for skillet/griddle

Beat egg with half of the cheese spread. Stir in flour, cornmeal, water, scallions, zucchini and s&p.  Let batter sit for 10 minutes.  Heat skillet/griddle to medium heat & coat with oil. Using a mini cookie scoop, place batter on griddle and cook for 2-3 min until golden brown. Flip and cook for another minute or so.  Top the corncakes with a dollop or spread of the remaining 1/2 of the cheese and garnish with scallions.  I think these are quite tasty right off the griddle, but were also yummy at room temperature which is a huge plus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment