Friday, December 6, 2013

Thankfulness

During the month of November, a lot of folks do a daily post on Facebook of what they're thankful for. I don't participate in this, not because I'm not thankful, but because I try to make a conscious effort to be thankful year round. I actually download a "thankful" app on my iPhone so wherever I am, I can record whatever it is that I'm thankful for at that moment. Sometimes I go weeks between posts, other times it get a few in in a week. It just depends on when I remember to post them. I decided  to make a list of things that I'm thankful for. I thinknit will be nice to look back over them in the years to come. To see what may have changed and what's remained the same.

I'm thankful.....

  • To be a stay-at-home mama. Being a mom is the one true thing I've wanted to be my entire life. 
  • My husband has a career he enjoys and works for such a great company. They truly care about their employees and their families which unfortunately is rare.  Next August he'll have been there 10 years. 
  • To have a husband who supports me in more ways than one to make the above possible.
  • That buns are "in" right now. Between Stella grabbing at everything and me not really having the time or care to fix my hair, it's nice to feel somewhat fashionable and yet effortless at the same time.
  • Baby girl loves being outdoors. I can always count on her calming down when I walk outside if she's upset.
  • That we can almost start feeding Stella actual food very soon. I wanted to wait until she is 6 months since we are going to do the Baby-Led Weaning (BLW) method. She's had some purees, but nothing that really counts. Food is such a huge part of our lives and we want her to have a healthy relationship with it. I was very picky as a child and we don't want her to be that way.
  • For awesome girlfriends in Atlanta. I've always had more guy friends that girl friends growing up, but as I've gotten older I realize a girl needs to have the chance to talk, bond and bitch with her girls. I'm so lucky that the men found such wonderful ladies.
  • That our friends have kids and continue to add to the group. I love the idea of the babies all being great friends like we all are.
  • Donald is a great cook. It was so nice to have a home cooked meal when Stella was a newborn instead of junk or fast food all the time.
  • He also cleans up the kitchen and doesn't mind.
  • I have a smart husband.  Growing up I didn't truly understand why women always listed "smart" as a quality they'd like to have in a man. Not that I wanted a dummy, but I thought, "Of all the things to want, this is what you've narrowed it down to?" Now, I totally get it. He is so incredibly smart and it's such a turn on. It's also nice that he knows how to fix things or can at least figure it out and we don't have to pay to have certain things done around the house. 
  • I have a smart daughter. The doctor tells us she's advanced for her age every time we see her. People everywhere point out how advanced she seems for her age.  What a beautiful thing to hear.  Every parent wants better for their children. I'm so happy she was born healthy and will have every opportunity to advance herself as much as she wants. 
  • For parents and in-laws who don't mind stepping in to help out.
  • That Stella has great-grandparents in her life. 
  • We don't have to travel long distances for Thanksgiving or really any holiday.
  • Our families live in the same town. We don't have to alternate holidays or drive far to celebrate. This was great when we were dating and even better now that we have a child.
  • I know how to cook and clean and take care of our home along with the people in it.  "Common sense is a flower that doesn't grow in everyone's garden."  Thank goodness it grows in mine!
  • For days when Stella and I just hang out in our PJ's.  I like getting out and about with her, especially now that she can sit in the cart and goes longer between feedings, but it's so nice not to have anywhere to be.  
  • For listening to Donald and Mother-in-Law when it came to what type of chair should go in the nursery. I only wanted my great grandmother's rocking chair because I wanted to be that mother.   They both said La-Z Boy.  They were both right.  We got a beautiful leather one that really is quite nice looking (most look frumpy and old person-ish) and it's soooo comfy.  Miss Priss had quite the appetite the first two months and fed very often.  My Boppy fits perfectly in it.  I also ended up sleeping in it a good bit the first month or so and I still nap in it a few times a week with Stella on my chest (Can we agree a sleepy baby heart to heart with you is THE BEST FEELING EVER?!) The rocking chair resides in our room and is great for brief rockings and nice to look at, but that's it.  
  • That both my parents and in-laws are retired so they can visit whenever.
  • We have a fenced in yard. 32 temp, 20+ mph winds and snow/ice on the ground definitely doesn't make me want to be out walking puppies.
  • Stella loves animals, especially doggies.
  • My Daddy doesn't have to be out working in this harsh winter weather anymore.
  • For a nice warm mug of Apple cider. 
  • Stella is such a great sleeper at night (typically).
  • We have such a laid back and happy baby.  
  • Rainy day cuddles and snoozing in my lap. Especially when Stella hasn't fallen asleep while nursing during the day in quite some time.
  • For early morning snuggles.  When I was pregnant I told Donald the thing I look forward to the most was putting the baby in bed with us and cuddling and  playing.  For the past month or so, if Stella wakes up after 5:30 am, instead of feeding her in the La-Z Boy in her nursery, I'll just go get her and put her in bed with us to nurse.  We both usually go back to sleep and then she wakes us up with soft hard thwacks on the face, chest or back and baby babbling.  It's one of my favorite times of day because we are all together as a family.  And she always wakes up in a good mood. 

No comments:

Post a Comment