Friday, December 20, 2013

Christmas Card "Corkboard"



I've been saving corks since the beginning of time. Ok, so it hasn't really been that long, but many, many years. Funny thing is, I don't even drink corked products. My husband drinks wine so we save what he drinks.  And my mama does, although she doesn't add to the cork bucket too much since she's a fan of boxed wine, but no judgement there.  She does steal them for me to add to my collection. I also snag them from random places when I know their destiny is the trash.  

This is such an easy project.  Basically you need three things to make this craft: yard stick, corks, hot glue gun.  Add push pins and the Christmas cards that your mailbox is being ambushed with this time of year and the total reaches a whopping five things.   If you want to add newspaper comics, then the total reaches six items. I save the comics each week for projects like this around the house where I don't want to risk messing up the table, counter or butcher block. I also sometimes wrap children's gifts in comics.  It's easy to be green.


My yard stick came from either a yard sale or Goodwill. It has a tiny hole in it at the top which now I see isn't really visible in the picture. This is what I used to nail it into the wall.   Just put a small line of hot glue down on the yard stick and press the cork onto it. Repeat until the stick is full.  The remarkable thing about my "corkboard" is that none of the corks were repeated. I feel that is impressive because our family drinks a lot of Charles Shaw (Two Buck Chuck from Trader Joes) and Rex Goliath.


So I happened to see this while gluing.  It says, "Merry Christmas" on the other side of the yardstick. How funny!


I decided to put it in the doorway from our living room into our kitchen. 


I put the non photo cards underneath with pins.


And then laid the photo cards on top. Wow, that's a crooked picture. You get the idea though. It's cheap, recycled/up-cycled (not sure of the difference, but I see both a lot), easy and quick. All things I like.


This is my first year as a Mommy and I must tell you, just that is the perfect Christmas gift. I sent out personalized photo Christmas cards for the first year.  Our card isn't on the corkboard.  It's on the fridge instead. I had two yardsticks and truly need them for all the cards we've received this year, but I didn't have enough corks. I guess next year, we'll add two "corkboards" for all of the cards. What a blessing to be running out of room for Christmas cards. Merry Everything and Happy Always! 



No comments:

Post a Comment