Thursday, February 13, 2014

Snowpocalypse #2

Some are still not over the first snow storm which brought metro Atlanta to a standstill and everyone is preparing for Icelanta two weeks later. This time the storm brought rain, then ice and then snow instead of the fluffy powder that blanketed us two weeks prior. The news and public figures used terms like "devastating" and "detrimental" since over an inch of ice was expected.  It wasn't that way for us thankfully. We got gas and groceries Sunday night. Tuesday it rained. I showered, washed, dried and straightened my hair in preparation of no power for the next few days. Wednesday, we were awoken at 5 am by the sound of ice pellets hitting the window. That continued pretty much all day. Donald worked from home while I washed clothes and rain the dishwasher. Again, I wanted to have as much done as possible in case we were without power. If it had went out, we would have camped out in the living room floor if our elderly neighbor since she has gas heat and cooking.  Yesterday, everything was encased in ice. 

I couldn't even get the mailbox open. Turns out it didn't matter because we never saw the mail truck. In fact, I may have only seen 5 cars yesterday on our street and Cooper Lake. 


This isn't snow, it's ice pellets!


Our screen has become a privacy screen thanks to a sheet of ice covering it.


It started snowing HUGE snowflakes around 8 pm Wednesday night and apparently that continued for a while because we woke up to a beautiful winter wonderland.





Every morning, the three of us lay in bed and look out the window. We have to pull the blinds up and move the curtains so Stella can look and touch the window. We watch the cars go by and, if we are still in bed, wave by to Daddy as he drives down the street.  This was our view this morning.


While snapping pictures this morning, I found hundreds of teeny tiny icicles hanging off the wooden siding on the east side of our house.


This little girl was so overstuffed in her one piece reindeer suit and down jacket she could barely sit up. I laughed and laughed before I even got her outside. I just kept thinking of Randy in A Christmas Story-"I can't put my arms down!" 


Attempting a snow angel without me even asking. That's my girl! Ok, confession:really, she fell over.






This is our poor Tea Olive Tree. It was all splayed out and when the wind blew, the branches would scrape the side of the house. It was creepy.


Ice encased lights on our screen porch.

 
The herb garden isn't looking too great covered in snow. Not that it looks that great right now anyways.







B and Stella


Not so sure about this white stuff everywhere.



These were taken around 10 or so this morning. By 11, snow was falling out in clumps and then at 11:30 it was more like rain. After lunch, water was pouring from the trees. I've never seen anything like it.  I'm so thankful we could stay safe, warm and cozy in our house for storm #2. I'm hoping we don't have a storm #3.

No comments:

Post a Comment