Sunday, February 2, 2014

January birthdays


On my side of the family, there are five (Grandpa, JC, Michael, Duke, Hadley) who celebrate a birthday in January. Well, now there are six because the newest family member, Eleanor Suzette was born January 14. Add Donald and his cousin, Alex from his side of the family and that makes eight. The crazy thing is, Donald, Michael and Alex all share the same birthday, January 23.

I made Oreo Cookies and Cream Cookies for Donald because he'll inhale anything with the word "Oreo" or "cookies 'n' cream" in it. It has Oreos (of course), Jell-O Oreo cookies n cream flavored pudding mix and white chocolate chips in the mix!!! I baked about 2 1/2 dozen and froze 13 balls of dough for another time. I would and should have frozen more, but we were supposed to go out to eat to celebrate Donald's 33rd trip around the sun. I thought everyone could have a cookie to "toast" to when we sang Happy Birthday. Those plans got cancelled so now someone is "stuck" eating all of them. 




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I made Lemon Glazed Lemon Cake for Michael's birthday. So easy and absolutely delicious! 
And really, really moist!  I did change a couple of things on the pinterest recipe however. Instead of yellow cake mix, I used lemon cake mix. So double lemon inside with the mix and pudding. Then, for the outside, I just zested and juiced a lemon and added that to 2 cups of powdered sugar. Mixed it together and poured it over the top.  I've made that simple icing for years and didn't think the extra water or butter were necessary.  Then I kept scraping up the excess icing and reapplying it to the top of the cake.  You definitely want to rest the cake on a cooling rack so the icing drips down so you're able to do this. It's so worth it. I did this three times. If you love lemon, then you'll love this cake!



On Friday, Stella and I drove over to Athens to surprise Michael at his new work and to take him out to eat. Jessica and I had been planning the surprise for about a month.  My parents were supposed to join us, but due to a death of a family friend, they stayed behind in Sylvester. After lunch,  Stella , Jess and I all walked around downtown Athens. I took Stella over to The Arch to get her picture.






The surprise birthday trip was a success. One problem, when we walked in and told Michael we were taking him to lunch, he'd just eaten!!  Good thing was, it was leftovers and not a ton of food. So we went to Logan's Roadhouse, had some huge salads and rolls and chatted. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunday we drove down to Peachtree City for Hadley's 1st birthday party.  Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture of her and Hadley together, but I think someone else did. I think the girls look so much alike.  Hadley had a Minnie Mouse themed birthday party-hence the Minnie bow headband.  This girl loves a swing!


Got to meet the newest member of the family. Me and Baby Eleanor Suzette!  
My baby is no longer the baby. 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yesterday, at The Hancock's house, we celebrated six January birthdays with our friends and their children.  Two parents were turning a year older (Donald and Kelsie) and four children (Sophie-5, Izzy-2 Landon-1, Amelia-1).  It was an old fashioned hotdog and hamburger grilling. And as always, the cake Britany made was amazing. Children were running and crawling around everywhere. Unfortunately no one got any pictures of the little hellians.  Stella pitched a huge fit when we started singing "Happy Birthday." Not sure what that was about, but she calmed down after I took her upstairs and she had a little one on one time to play with Lily. Afterwards, she was in a great mood.  Later on, we changed her into her pjs and she laid on my chest for the longest time just watching Ice Age with Sophie. 

She lasted surprisingly until 10:00 pm.  Then she crashed....hard!


When we were kids, the Griffin's would usually try to get together at Grandpa's to celebrate the family birthdays. This past Monday a few members of the family took my Grandpa out to eat to celebrate him turning 94. I wanted to be there, but couldn't. However, at the end of February, the whole family will have a family reunion at General Coffee State Park. We are renting cabins and campsites and I seriously cannot wait. We used to get together in the spring at FDR State Park in Pine Mountain and I really, really miss it. So happy to be doing this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment