Monday, January 6, 2014

Something warm and tasty: Chai Tea (Starbucks knock-off)


As most of the country is being hit with brutally cold temperatures and most states are covered in ice and snow, I thought it fitting to make something warm and tasty.  The high for today was supposed to only be 28 and we had flurries this morning.   We have two thermometers at our house: one on the front porch and one on the back. The back porch thermometer said 28, while the front one around 3:30 pm said 40. It was in the sun though. That's the thing that kind of irritated me. It's beautiful out, but we can't be outside because it's so frigid.  I almost wish it was overcast like it has been. then I wouldn't feel the need to go do something outdoors.  

I decided  yesterday after much going, going, going the past two weeks that I would not venture out into the cold for three days.  Ok, so I'm going outside (briefly), but I'm not leaving in my car to be specific.  How about a yummy homemade chai spiced tea like they make a Starbucks and sell for tons of moola, but for way less?  Oh, and healthier!  I purchased a box of TAZO Organic Chai Tea at Big Lots for $2.00. Let's put it to use.


TAZO Chai Spiced Tea

I put water in the kettle and turned it on to boil.  I know, so hard right?  I placed 3 bags in a quart mason jar and added 3 cups of water. I added about 1/3 cup of Splenda (I honestly rarely measure anything). I would normally use raw/turbinado sugar as we try to eat whole foods and use real ingredients as much as possible, but I had just a little of this left from forever ago and I'm trying to use it up. I could throw it out, but I dislike like waste.


I added 1/2 cup (4 oz) of organic skim milk to a saucepan and heated it on the stove.  I threw in half of a cinnamon stick for a little extra flavor. 


When it was hot and steamy, I poured it into a mug and then poured the same amount (1/2 cup/4 oz) of tea to the mug.



Ta Da! A nice, organic, sugar and fat free Chai Tea made for pennies!


No comments:

Post a Comment