Saturday, January 11, 2014

Pineapple-Mango Fruit Puree


If your a big a fan of Greek yogurt as me, then you'll love this.  I've been buying the 2-32 oz tubs of Greek yogurt from Costco for years. I usually top it will fresh fruit and granola, but sometimes I don't always have fresh fruit. I love almost all of the flavors of  Mueller Corner yogurt and that inspired this post.  I decided to make a pineapple and mango puree. But I'm too much of a fresh fruit snob to make it from fresh fruit. If I have fresh fruit, it's going straight in my mouth or on the yogurt. I'm definitely not spending the time to puree it.  So in decided to use dried fruit.  It's economical and pretty quick to do.  You could do with whatever dried fruit you have on hand, cherries and apricots would be tasty.  This puree has only three ingredients also, which makes it even better.

Pineapple-Mango Puree

dried pineapple
dried mango
mango juice

Using kitchen shears, cut fruit into smaller chunks over a saucepan.  
Add juice to cover fruit about halfway.  
Simmer over medium heat until fruit is softened.  
Let cool a bit, then transfer to a food processor.
Puree to your liking.  I wanted a bit of texture in mine so it's not completely smooth.  
I chose to have mine a thick jam-like consistency. 

Tip: Do not try to use an immersion blender with this. I love mine and have used it many times for many different applications. This is not one of them. 
Well, unless your goal is to splatter it everywhere!



I added my puree to Greek yogurt, but it would be delicious topped on an English Muffin, plain bagel, waffles or pancakes. 



No comments:

Post a Comment