Monday, January 6, 2014

Butternut Squash Sage Pie


While watching an episode of  Log on and Eat with Eden Grisnhpan on Cooking Channel, I found out that Haylie Duff has a website Real Girl's Kitchen where she blogs about food, food tips, restaurant reviews, etc. I didn't know this about Haylie so immediately after watching, I checked out her website.  I saw a recipe for this and knew I wanted to try it out.

I had a butternut squash in the pantry, a tub of ricotta from a past purchase that I decided not to use, walnuts in the freezer and sage growing in my herb garden.  Also, since it's the holidays, I had a premade crust in the fridge.  I do occasionally make my own crust because it really can be quick and easy and not to mention, super cheap.  My problem is the resting time in the fridge.  Sometimes I only have a few minutes to throw something together and for that, I reach for refridgerated pie crusts. 

To begin with, I roasted the squash until tender.  I'd already used the tops for something else and this was a huge squash, so I had plenty for this recipe.


I ran the rolling pin over the crust to smooth everything out. Lately I've been using the rolled crusts instead of the ones inside the pie tins.  The edges on one side of the crusts always roll up, so I just do this to make everything lay/lie (never know which one to use) flat.  I poured the ingredients into the shell and crimped the edges of the crust with my fingers.  I still need to work on this, but I was going for rustic, so it worked.


While the pie was baking, I crisped up the freshly plucked sage leaves in a bit of butter. Too bad I was stuffy and couldn't smell the full potency of fresh picked sage.


When I took the pie out of the oven, I placed the leaves on top and then spooned the remainder of the sage butter on top.  This was a beautiful and tasty pie.  Very simple to make and easy to enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment