Sunday, January 5, 2014

Reflections on 2013

(For some reason this didn't post on 12-31-13 and I didn't catch it until tonight.)

As I sit here rocking my sweet baby on the last day of 2013, I can't help but think of a few words: 

Blessed
Lucky
Fortunate
Family
Mother
Love
Birth
Heart
Pain
Happiness
Overjoyed
Excitement

For the first half of 2013, I got to experience life grow inside of me. The second half I was able to hold, hug, kiss & love that sweet, beautiful, perfect baby as much as I wanted to. There aren't enough words to describe the love in my heart for my child. Being a mother is something I've always dreamed of being. It took a while to get the little one down for bed tonight and while I did that, Donald prepared a delicious supper for us. He went to Harry's Farmer Market/Whole Foods after work and brought home snapper, sea scallops and dry aged, grass feed beef and strawberry cake. I fixed citrus and garlic broccoli with hazelnuts and roasted tri-color potatoes. We also have sparkling Moscoto to sip on tonight. The plan was to watch This is the End but we can't find it On demand. 

Right now, life is perfect. I'm a happy and healthy stay-at-home mom and wife to two wonderful individuals and the cutest pup who just had his 7th birthday on the 22nd. Some days, Stella and I spend the entire day in out PJ's. Other days we are out and about. I must admit, I love to show off my gorgeous girl. Everyone comments on her amazing blue eyes, adorable button nose, beautiful long , blonde hair and just how cute she is. I never tire of hearing the compliments of how well Donald and I did with our firstborn. 


Our first family Christmas was spent in our hometown. We were blessed to be able to spend Sunday-Saturday with family and friends. Donald and I were even able to escape Friday night for a date night. We enjoyed a lovely dinner out at The Catch in Albany, then ended up playing 3 hours of Catchphrase with Donald's family.  I was able to start a new tradition this year: reading 'Twas the Night Before Christmas. Coincidentally, we both had on reindeer stuff. 


Sunday we went grocery shopping as a family for the first time. I realize that's a weird thing to say, but shopping for groceries is something D and I used to enjoy doing before we lived together. We have both become big foodies over the years and when we were first dating we couldn't afford to eat at all the fancy restaurants. Instead, we'd find a recipe somewhere and spend the afternoon shopping for ingredients for the meal we'd fix together. Since Stella has been born, I've done almost all of the grocery shopping. Afterwards, we enjoyed salad and pizza at our favorite local pizza place. Stella enjoyed sucking marinara off of my crust! 

I know 2014 will be another amazing year. I can't believe we'll have to start planning Stellla's first birthday soon. I was sitting here earlier rocking and nursing my girl reflecting on all of the memories from the past six months. There are so many wonderful thoughts that flood my mind. The one that keeps popping up is the first night in the hospital. The two of us smooshed together in the hospital bed staring down at the life we created. She is smart, so incredibly smart. Just knowing that brings tears to my eyes. She has this budding personality and she's so beautiful.

I can't imagine life getting better, but I know it can and it will. 

Happy New Year to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment