Saturday, October 15, 2016

Thursday Trainspotting

On the 6th, Stella and I took MARTA into the city. It was our second time in on the train and this time our trip to and from the station went smoother than our first time. 
It was a gorgeous, cool Fall morning and we got an early start. We were meeting one of Stella's friends, Bella who she used to be classmates with at MMO.



When we walked up from the Philips Arena/CNN Center MARTA station we were instantly greeted by a whole bunch of folks. Then I noticed some were dressed in costumes, specifically Disney costumes. Then I remembered the commercial from the week before about Disney on Ice. The same commercial Stella commented on about "how she would LOVE to see that." We told her we couldn't go because we'd be out of town which was partially true. Technically it ran Thursday through Sunday and we would be gone Friday through Tuesday. The bigger thing was we couldn't tell her we weren't spending a few hundred bucks for Disney on Ice tickets since we are actually going to Disney World in less than two months. So I was gritting my teeth walking by all of these people thinking "Please don't figure this out" to myself and luckily she didn't. She just held my hand through the crowds of people and commented here and there about princess dresses and we just kept on walking and I just kept on changing the subject. I thought I'd made a huge mistake, but all was good.

We were shooting for a 10:30 meet-up at The Children's Museum and I was super proud of myself for walking up at this exact time. I didn't know what to expect with MARTA but it all worked out great. 

Stella and I walked in to find 1.2 million people (mostly children  and only approximately, of course) running through the museum. It was sheer madness. Overwhelming for me and definitely Stella. She said several times to me, "It's too much, Mommy." I'd have to hold her until her anxiety passed.  We met up with Bella, her mom Rachel and baby sister, Penelope about half an hour after we arrived. The girls played and explored and after being there for an hour or so we noticed the crowds dwindling. We checked out the Magic Tree House exhibit and both Stella and Bella played on the horse-drawn carriage and the coal-powered train but only briefly before the girls darted back out.  

I'd never heard of the Magic Tree House, but apparently it's a huge collection of books for elementary aged kids where a brother and sister are transported (by their imaginations, I think?) to different parts of the country and time period when they enter their tree house. I'm not sure, but I'm excited about reading these with Stella when she gets older. I think she'll love them.  

We headed out for lunch together, but Bella and family needed to leave.  So Stella and I got lunch to go from Baja Fresh and had a picnic at Centennial Park.  We sat on a park bench in the shade but were nearly carried away by flies. I'm only somewhat exaggerating. They were absolutely ridiculous!! I thought it was because we were close to a trash can so I moved across the courtyard to another bench that wasn't near the trash and that helped some. Let's just say I won't be dining in this spot again. 

After we finished swatting flies away from our food and mouths Stella played on the playground for a bit and then headed back to the museum. We'd gotten our hands stamped in case we wanted to come back. Usually when we leave, we leave for good, but that's because I always bring our lunch and we dine upstairs.

Stella went back to the Magic Tree House exhibit and hung out there for a while. She tried on a period costume and played in the First Thanksgiving section for a while. She liked the row boat and playing with the baby doll and cradle in the cabin.


Stella was big and brave and climbed all the way to the top of the world by herself. She'd never done this before today. She's only ever went up with me or Tiffany.


We stayed until closing, then started making our way back to the train. 


Stella commented on the ferris wheel (as she always does) and put in to ride. I asked her if we could come back with Daddy soon but she would not let it go. She'd been good that day so I decided to treat her.  She knows she's ridden before because I tell her each time we walk by that she rode when she was four months old for Mommy and Daddy's third anniversary, but she was looking at me all "whatever Mom, you know I don't remember that"!"


I'd considered lying about her age as kids under three are free and kids above three are $10, but I knew she'd never pass since most people think she's already four. So I told the truth when the ticket lady asked. You know what she said? "I'll let her in for free." Yay!! I thanked her and we headed to the big wheel in the sky.






She loved this. Loved!  I was so happy for her. She has no fear when it comes to this sort of thing which I love. 



 I learned that I, however, got that weird, butterflies-in-the-stomach-I-may-throw-up feeling every time she moved or got near the door. Ugh. I've never had that reaction before to someone else's actions. Major mom moment. Major. I guess just us being up that far and knowing what could happen was just too much.  But luckily I made it safely back down to the Earth without barfing everywhere so that was great.

We got to see progress on the new Falcons stadium as we walked back to the MARTA station. 


Then we got back on the train, the correct one the first time I'd like to add and headed back to our starting point.

Stella fell asleep on the ride from the car to our house which was not ideal with it being so late, but I knew she'd had a big, fun day. Me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment