Sunday, October 30, 2016

Anniversary Date Night

Sunday October 23rd was 6 years of marriage for us.  Since we were driving back from the beach and our supper consisted of Burger King drive-thru we took advantage of Jitterbugs PJ Party on Friday the 28th and made dinner reservations.  

Donald poured over about six different local menus but ultimately selected Paces & Vine. We had a room in this cute restaurant all to ourselves for the majority of our time there and it was fantastic.  It was quiet and private. A place where we could just talk and be. When we go somewhere new with a lot of appetizer or small plate options we like to get 4-6 things to share to get a good taste of what's offered. We dined on a Cesar salad, fried calamari (which was super light and crispy), charred artichokes (absolutely amazing & that dipping sauce? I wanted to dip everything in it!), black lentils with the grilled octopus (the lentils could turn me into a vegetarian for a week or so) & a bowl of Autumn veggies. I had two caipiranhas which were very strong but also equally refreshing. Donald had an old fashioned and then a ginger margarita.

I wore a new (to me) dress that was orange, beige, mustard yellow, white and navy blue.  I paired it with my nude wedges. I thought my outfit was very Fall looking; however, Donald said it looked very 70's to him. I guess we were both right. It was cut just above my knee, but had long sleeves and a plunging neckline. Only problem? I forgot to spray myself with static guard. It was a tad clingy around my booty at times. 

After supper, we had roughly an hour to kill before we had to get Stella so we drove up to Belmont at Windy Hill and Atlanta road to Creatwood Tavern. They have a rooftop bar and Donald had noticed it several times on the way home from work.  He had a Creature Comforts Athena and I tried ordering a drink, but left my ID in the car and they carded me and then would not serve me so instead I had nothing. The bar had a huge Connect 4 game which we played for bit, then we got asked to play a game of corn hole.  I've played about twice in my life so we decided to do a little practice and I threw first. Of course, the first throw of the bag and it lands in the hole. Like a perfect shot, barely scraped the sides.  We didn't do a great job of keeping up with the score, but I did pretty good actually. 

I drove to pick up Stella. I was given very specific instructions from Stella that morning where I was not allowed to go inside to pick her up since Daddy was the only one who picked her up last time. She got all upset that morning when I mentioned picking her up. So we compromised and told her I would wait in the car.  When I pulled in the parking lot she was waiting on the couch looking out the window for us when I pulled up. Donald ducked down low and walked over to the door.  I knew she had snuck over to the inside of the door. He crouched down low, turned the knob and pulled the door open to surprise Stella. When he opened it she was a mess, just in tears.  Oh my goodness the tears.  And her heartbroken face.  She'd wanted to open the door and surprise Donald but Miss Ashley pulled her back away from the door and wouldn't let her open it and Stella lost it. Full on meltdown. We had to explain that Miss Ashley was doing her job and didn't know how smart and how much of a good listener Stella was and that she didn't know that Stella wouldn't run out into the parking lot. We had to explain this several times.  Stella didn't seem to care to hear it but eventually the waterworks lessened. Needless to say, it didn't take her long to go to sleep that night.

This year hasn't been the easiest year for me and Donald. In fact, I'd say this has been our most difficult year.  I am proud to say that we made it over 14 years before we had an issue such as ours. We spent a lot of time apart this Summer with me and Stella being at the beach. Also, Donald has been very busy and at times, stressed out over work. Other factors came into play which are obviously normal for a couple who's been together as long as we have. We aired our grievances a month or two back and have agreed to check in with each other regularly to make sure we are meeting each other's needs and not taking each other for granted.  Looking forward to many more years together....happily.


No comments:

Post a Comment