Saturday, October 29, 2016

Goodbye to The Ted

Whew! Lots of emotions over here about this post.  So here goes.....

This was a our last ride up the escalator. Stella's on my back partly because it's easier and safer for us to get in and out when she's attached to me, but partly because we forgot to buy her a ticket (she's a big 3 year old now who required one..oops!) and knew she'd come off as "younger looking" enjoying the ride on me.  No one said anything. We'll buy that ticket for Opening Day next year. Promise!


I had my fingers crossed for the sweet 3rd (ish) row seats behind the Braves dugout that JAMCO has, but sadly, they were taken. Booooooooooo!  So instead, we are up in nose bleed in far left field. But it doesn't matter. We are here.  And when you get up early to leave Sylvester to drive to a game the kid isn't going to sit in the seat anyways. She normally does pretty good in the seats, we can make it at least halfway, but not today. She wasn't having it after being in the car for 3 hours and then being asked to sit again. Can't say I blame her.

Our photographer for the next few pictures is Stella.





Mommy took the reins on this one though.  Daddy gazed off towards the game. Oops.


So we took a few photos and then Stella had enough sitting. So Donald stayed for a bit and Stella and I got up to walk around, run the bases, etc.

She insisted on lying down on the seats for some reason. Looks like she just slid home.





So huge news guys: Two-Bit had won the Home Depot tool race. This is big! I'm sure he's won before (maybe not? Idk), but generally speaking, the other tools win. Two-Bit may come close, but he'll get knocked down, tripped, pushed into the wall. Fans love it. But they let him win for the very last game.  And us? Oh we were in the bathroom. Just washing our hands. Ugh!!! I was so irritated by this.  We heard commotion, but just thought someone was getting on base or rounding 3rd to score. I'm also pretty sure they normally do the race later in the game because this seemed awful early for it. I really hate we missed this. Stella loves watching this. Me too.

So the winner came up top for a photo op and I see him and this goes down:

Me: "Ooh, look, it's Two Bit. Let's take a picture."
Stella: "Yeah, ok."
After picture......
Me: "Why do you look so terrified?!"
Stella: "Because I don't like Two Bit, I like hammer!" 






This is the one I posted to Instagram. Looks like I'm torturing her to stand here. I was completely unaware of this. The guy photographing us never said a word. Ha!  


We did our usual running of the bases up top. Stella did it with me once, a few times by herself, then when Daddy joined us, she did it with him. 

After the game was over we moved down to the lower seats to watch the closing ceremonies for Turner Field. 

Stella got some snuggles and kisses in with Daddy while the sun went down.




Then she wanted us to take pictures again. 


We watched them dig up Home Plate and hand it off to Hank Aaron who then got in a bus. As people gave speeches and they showed old footage, the bus was driving them to SunTrust Park to deliver home plate to its new home.  When they arrived, they had live footage on the big screen.

And yeah, I cried a little. So.Many.Good.Memories. Sundays in the Spring, nights after work, tailgates on the weekend, tailgating for hours before Opening Day, engagement pictures, painting my belly like a baseball for Opening Day when I was pregnant and taking photos with so many random strangers, Stella's first tailgate (1 week old), Stella's first game (3 weeks old), Stella's first Opening Day outside of my belly, Stella's first time running the bases, watching The Braves win and loose, staying until the very end for amazing comebacks, watching Chipper play, at one point knowing the entire line-up of Braves players and the list goes on. A little bit of my heart will always be here.

Last sunset at The Ted.



As we were walking out I saw a seat number on a row up that was crooked. Then I realized it was almost out. During the closing ceremonies I'd noticed some of the seat numbers missing but never put two and two together-people were stealing them! I reached up and popped it loose and stuck it in my pocket as a memento.  I wish I'd noticed this earlier so I could have gotten a few more. I would have really liked the "3" since both of our birthdays and our anniversary is on the 23rd.  I hate that we missed out on the little packages of dirt everyone was "supposed" to receive as they entered the stadium, but this is better because not everyone has this. 


No comments:

Post a Comment