Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Father's Day Weekend

Stella and I left for the beach the Thursday before Father's Day weekend. We drove straight down and this was my second attempt at doing this alone. I grabbed the metal TV tray to fit in your car seat so she could color/draw easier.


I made this cute little snack pack from an egg carton (hello, pinterest!)  I thought this was going to be the biggest hit ever. I mean, who wouldn't want to gobble all of these goodies up?  Stella normally eat all of this-cashews, goldfish, cookies, cereal, raisins and blueberries. But her? She only ate the blueberries. Yeah, never doing that again.


We got down to the beach and headed straight for Killer Seafood. We got to dine outside thanks to their new outdoor picnic tables and lighting. This was our view.


After dinner we walked down to the beach while the sunlight faded away.


I don't mind dishes when I have a bright, sunny spot to do it in.


I was so proud of myself when we headed down to the beach Friday. I remembered everything we needed. Except for that tiny little part about putting sunscreen on my child. I did remember I'd forgotten about an hour or so in and quickly coated her in it, but I was too late. Yeah,  she got pretty pink. But look at those tan lines. And that booty! She was sleepy, sleepy.


Stella took an epic nap. I got to enjoy some downtime on my booty to eat watermelon and write your thank you cards. I think I even watched some Netflix. 

Oh goodness she Stella slept so long. Daddy had a rough day trying to get to us. Delayed and re-routed flights due to storms in Atlanta prevented him getting to us mid afternoon like originally planned. Instead, he arrived around 11:30 pm. And Stella was awake since she'd had a really long nap. It was after 1:00 am before she went to sleep. In fact, Daddy fell asleep and was snoring before she was.  I actually had to tell her "Do you hear that? It's Daddy snoring. He's asleep. It's time for you to go to sleep now." And it worked. Yay. I was tired too!

The next morning we all went for a walk. Stella wanted to take Daddy to the new playground since he hadn't seen it yet.



She showed Daddy how she could climb up this. 

Daddy: "Are you sure you can climb all the way up?"
Stella: "Of course, I have feet!"


We made a short trip down to the beach and then came back, showered off and headed over to P.C. to bring Stella to her first movie at the theater-Finding Dory.  She did really great and we all loved the movie. Then we visited Aunt Jaycie at Boondocks and had a late lunch/early dinner.  Stella fell asleep about 10-15 minutes before we got home. I know she was tired from being up so late the night before.  I'm glad she was sleeping, but it was so perfect out that evening and I really wished she had been awake. I took Bandit for a nice, 30 minute walk. We walked along 98 down to Shoobies Ice Cream truck to see if they were open. 


And when I returned I went back down to the beach to watch the sunset. It was so nice to have an hour or so just to myself. The moon was coming out as I was walking down on the sand.



We spent Sunday down at the beach. That evening we took B for a walk and then we had to go down to the beach to pick up out stuff we'd left out from the day. It was so bright out from a full (or near full) moon that we didn't need flashlights. In fact, we had really hard shadows out there. I'd snuck B down on the sand and Stella was so kind as to dump handfuls of it on him. Yayyyy. 




Daddy's Father's Day card. I found an Endless Summer paddleboard set to play on the beach and Stella picked out Oreo's for him.


Monday after we walked B, we needed to leave the house for a while so Daddy could do a conference call. Me, Stella and B rode around on the golf cart just looking around. We came across the most fitting planter for the beach. I totally want one!


When Daddy was done, we packed a picnic lunch and our things and headed out in the boat for the day.

On the way out to the point at Cape San Blas, we saw a huge sea turtle.  Stella could have easily laid across his back and still had room on it I'm sure. As you can see, the water was perfectly crystal clear. We first went to the west side of the point. 



We gave Stella a fishing pole for her birthday. She mentioned something about one a few weeks prior so we ordered her one so her and Daddy could practice together.




I combed the beach and discovered a cemetery of starfish. I guess there had been a high tide here with a tide pool and hundreds of them took shelter here. But then it went out and they were stranded. Most blended in really well to the sand but when I noticed one, I looked up and saw another, then another, then ended up walking around looking at hundreds of them. They were dried and somewhat bleached from the sun. Stella loved picking them up and moving them somewhere she could "tuck them in for a nice little nap." She'd hide them under a piece of driftwood, or put five or so together so they'd be happy and not lonely. We'd brought stuff for a picnic lunch and I had to walk down after 20+ minutes of her sitting on the beach alone playing with them just to get her back down to eat. I believe we could have left her there for hours and she would have been content.


Our finds on the west side of the Cape.


We hopped back on the boat and went to the east side of the point. 


Here we found tons of sand dollars, sea urchins (we even handled an alive one), sea snails, and got nibbled on by tiny fish.  We collected some driftwood, shells, horseshoe crab & regular crab shells to decorate the beach house with.  It was great to just float around in the gorgeous, cool water and play and make wonderful memories.


Total finds from our beach trip!


Stella fell asleep on my chest on the ride in which was a great way to end a perfect day out on the beautiful water.

We went to Dockside at the PSJ Marina for supper. We walked along the docks looking at boats while waiting on a table to become available.



The house here in the foreground is a house Donald's great grandfather owned back in the 40's.  The second level wasn't added until some years later.  I love that we are raising our daughter here part time in a place that Donald's family has been coming for generations.


Donald left Tuesday to go back to Atlanta.  So Stella and I ventured over to PSJ to their waterfront park. They have a really cool pirate ship playground which Stella loved.




And then our favorite time of day......sunset. 



This was our first trip this year as just a family of 3-no other guests present and it was such a lovely, special weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment