Sunday, May 11, 2014

My First Mother's Day

My first true Mothers Day was so incredibly wonderful. Stella woke up and we all played in her nursery for a while this morning. We munched on grapes (in addition to string cheese for Stella) and a tart Granny Smith apple while watching Food  Network and Atlanta Eats. I may have also had a red velvet petit four. D picks them up from the bakery at Publix on occasion. I don't typically eat red velvet since I don't care for chocolate, but the cake to icing ratio on a petit four is about 1:1 so it was just a slight cocoa taste. I'm starting to be ok with little bits of chocolate here and there and this was very good. And honestly, I would probably eat anything if it was covered in that delicious petit four icing. 
  
D gave me a Stargazer Lily plant which perfumed the house beautifully. Well, until he started frying up bacon and andouille sausage for homemade shrimp 'n' grits. But no complaints here. Bacon cooking accompanied with a good looking man doing the cooking is always a win in my mind. 


I laid Stella down for her nap and walked out to find this incredible plate of yumminess. Sharp, tangy grits with a bacon, sausage, 'shroom and oniony gravy topped with sautéed shrimp. So freaking good. We had mimosas with this on the porch....in my pjs. Stella woke up from a super short I'd-barely-call-it-a-nap 20 minute nap just as we were sitting down to eat. Guess she wanted to be apart of the bacon eating also. 


I got around to taking a shower but just really wanted to go back to sleep. It was really overcast which didn't help my laziness. I almost always eat something sweet after a meal whether it's a baked morsel, yogurt, piece of fruit, but we were both super stuffed, so I didn't. I tried to sneak in to steal another petit four but D slapped my hand away. He said he had another trick up his sleeve.  Shortly thereafter, I was allowed to leave the nursery to find a plate of these beauties. 


Call them what you want: beignets, doughnuts, odd shaped "funnel cake", who cares, it's fried dough sprinkled with powdered sugar and it was amazing. They weren't truly homemade as it's halved canned original Pilsbury biscuits fried, but they were spectacular. I don't know that most would be able to tell the difference.


While eating the beignets, Stella decided it would be a great idea to crawl in Bandit's outside bed. Now, I don't mind her being in the bed inside as it gets washed but this one is disgusting. She loves anything to do with the puppy dog. She even tries to eat like him sometimes. He's allowed to clean up her food mess after I get her out of her high chair and she walks around picking up food off the floor. I just keep repeating to myself,  "She's building her immunity."

We devoured the entire plate of fried goodness. Yes, all of it. You can't have leftover fried dough!! I gave Stella the tinest bite and she also enjoyed. As you might imagine, this really sent me into major nap mode and it was about that time for Stella, so I decided we needed to take one together.  It took a while for her to give it up (sadly the norm these days), but once she did, we slept for a while. She woke up and said some of her gibberish and I thought she was awake for good, but passed back out as seen below. 


I love straightening and organizing. Somehow this itty bitty creature makes the biggest messes and she's super quick about it too! So I get to do what I love-restraighten and reorganize all that Stella undoes.


She loves carrying things with handles: baskets and purses and putting things inside them. I tries to get her to help me clean up her mess tonight but it did not work. 

Look at this crazy bed hair!



D filled up the kiddie pool and gave Stella's car a wash so she played after her nap. 

Since we ate so heavy for brunch, we kept it light for lunch. We are overflowing with salad greens, so we had salad with grilled chicken and corn. Donald, once again prepared my plate and we had dinner in the porch. Stella inhaled the corn, chicken and tomatoes. She was so fussy a good bit before we ate. I guess she was hungry. 

I am so unbelievably blessed as a new mother and a wife. I'm able to go to sleep next to my handsome and hardworking husband and wake up next to my beautiful baby girl. She sleeps in til around 8-8:30. We have breakfast together every morning. We spend the day together sometimes running errands or doing chores around the house and yard. Other days we just lay around and play. I can't complain about anything. Life keeps getting better and better for our little family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment