Monday, April 28, 2014

Earth Day Dinner-Asian Chicken Lettuce Cups

Our lettuce cups runneth over so to speak in our garden, so I thought: Asian lettuce cups for dinner. I bought a package of boneless, skinless chicken thighs and since D was already grilling BBQ chicken on Sunday, I suggested we set aside a few thighs specifically for another meal. He brushed on the Ken's Asian Sesame dressing while grilling, then we threw them in the fridge for another night. 

Three reserved boneless, skinless chicken thighs.


Bibb lettuce, freshly plucked from the garden that day.


Topped with chopped, slightly warmed chicken


Sprinkled with a quick homemade slaw of sliced cabbage, shaved carrots dressed with rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, the tiniest dash of chinese 5 spice powder, a splash of fish sauce and a shake of ginger.  This "marinated" for 5-10 minutes while I prepped the lettuce, chopped the chicken and sauteed the kale.


I sprinkled on roasted, slivered almonds for extra crunchiness.



I served our light and healthy lettuce cups with sauteed spicy sesame kale.


I sauteed two bunches of torn kale in a large skillet with vegetable oil and roughly 1/2 tsp of crushed red pepper. Seasoned with salt and pepper, I let it wilt and soften.  I tossed it with sesame oil and toasted seeds. 


This particular lettuce made it a little difficult to eat without making a huge mess, but messy food is usually really delicious.  This was the case here and something I'd definitely want to make again since it was quick and healthy.  If you don't make the kale, you don't even have to turn on the stove.   


No comments:

Post a Comment