Monday, April 7, 2014

Unicorn Farts-Color Run 2014

Back in January or February, I signed up for The Color Run with a friend. She ended up having to back out, so I became team captain and got three of Donald's coworker's to join me. Lisa decided our team name should be "Unicorn Farts" with all of the rainbows and color associated with the run. I immediately loved it. 

We puffy painted our team name and rainbows in the front and put our names on the back.

I purchased a yard each ($0.89/yard) of seven different colors of tulle from Hobby Lobby and we cut it into five somewhat equal strips. Those were our unicorn tails. We just pinned them into our rump. Originally, I wanted to make the rainbow skirts from tulle and boy am I glad I decided against that. I had enough cutting tulle just making our unicorn tails. 

While browsing at IKEA one day about a month ago I discovered unicorns on a stick (like the kid sized horse on a stick from our childhood). I so almost bought one to ride but then I saw unicorn hand puppets. I thought it would be a tiny bit easier to navigate a 5K with hand puppets. I decided to wait to see if anyone else wanted them before buying. We just went with our tails. 

The fun run was held at Atlanta Motor Speedway. We didn't run into any traffic until a few miles from the stands. We detoured and came up from the south which helped tremendously.  This is my main complaint about the Color Run. It says Atlanta, but when you sign up, you find out it's about 45 min (no traffic) or 1 1/2 hour (with traffic) south of the city. Is there really no where in Atlanta proper than can host a 5K? Doubt it. I heard a few years ago that it was at Turner Field. I don't neccessarily know that I want to run, ok walk 3.whatever miles around The Ted, but at least it would be in Atlanta.

 Team Unicorn Farts: Before


Standing proud like a unicorn should 



During 


Here's Stella just chilling, eating some puffs, doing some people watching.  



We are just starting to walk through here. I'm next to the guy turned slightly sideways with the mask on his face.





Here I am getting coated in purple chalk.


Here's the group in action.


Photo op-Kim, Ethan, Emma, Me, Lisa and Misty


Finish line


After




This happened because at certain color stops, there'd be a line because everyone would stop while the volunteers re-filled the bottles they use to squeeze the chalk out. Instead of waiting, I'd just scoop handfuls up and throw it at our group.




Happy guns!




My unicorn rainbow tail


This girl was so happy to see my about halfway through the race while Donald was taking pictures. She got so, so upset when I left. D said she cried for a while. Poor thing. She was super excited to see me again and even more thrilled for me to hold her. A lot of color came off on her. She ended up with a green face, lips and mouth (thumb sucking of course).





The last picture here was taken just before I hopped in the shower. I changed clothes in the car before I nursed Stella and realized that some of the chalk had "bled" through my clothes, but I had no idea until I got completely undressed.  It seeped in through the toe part of my shoes, staining my toes and feet. There was a dark purple outline of my sports bra and a smidgen of purple where my actual sports bra was. Mostly I was covered in blue and purple. I showed Donald just before stepping in and he said I basically looked like a dead body. Well that's nice! All of the color came off surprisingly easy, but one part would not budge. My right armpit and the area around it is this weird sunburned pink color.  My HAPPY tattoo is still on too. I didn't scrub it to get it off, so I guess I'll have to do that tonight because it's starting to look pretty crappy.  When I get out of the shower, I always blow my nose. Saturday was no exception. However, this time my tissue was blue! That's a first.

The Color Run really was a lot of fun.  Maybe next year, we'll have a bigger team.  #happiest5K #kindaawesome  

No comments:

Post a Comment