Monday, April 24, 2017

Fairy, Tooth Fairy

Wednesday April 12th: I got the call at 11:42 am -Stella had been hurt at school. She slipped climbing the ladder on the playground. They originally thought her top tooth had just split her bottom lip, causing blood & swelling. But Stella wouldn't let them look at her mouth because she was so upset. Stella wanted me to come get her. It takes me less than 5 minutes to get there. When I arrived the director was waiting at the door for me. "It would appear her tooth is gone" she said with clasped hands. "They are attempting to locate it on the playground but it's possible she swallowed it." 😳
Yeah, not what I was expecting. It took two teachers two visits back to the playground but it was recovered. 
I called her dentist's office at 12:15. They told me to be there at 1 when they reopened. We were immediately called back upon arrival. 
The good news is that her tooth came out in one piece with no major damage to the gum tissue & the surrounding teeth were unharmed. There shouldn't be any harm to the adult tooth either. 
Unfortunately they cannot reattach the baby tooth so she will be without a front tooth for around two to three years. 
We are so thankful she wasn't hurt in any other way. And also thankful her dentist didn't charge us for an emergency visit as we don't have dental insurance.  Dr. Aaron Schwartz is amazing and so patient. He was highly recommended before this happened, but this puts him above & beyond. 
Her missing front tooth has given her a cute little lisp but I'm sure once her tongue adjusts to her "new" mouth, her speech will correct soon. Not having a front tooth may also put a damper on her thumb sucking. At least, that's what I'm hoping for. 
Ugh! 😩 Our family & teeth. Is it too soon to be scared for my grandchildren's mouth/teeth?!





We are so blessed. Things could have been much worse. 

Later that day: 
To quote Grace from Ferris Bueller's Day Off: "They think SHE'S a righteous dude!" So I've already received a text from a mom who heard about what happened from her kid (one of Stella's bff's). Apparently her friends thinks it's cool Stella lost a tooth & "I hope I loose a tooth soon too!" My big, brave, beautiful ⭐️. Such a role model?! 

***********************************************************************************

Luckily I like am a (mostly) organized person and like to be prepared. That and I love keeping a sense of magic around stuff like this. She is a kid only once after all. 
I bought the tooth pillow at a Christmas crafts fair. I thought it was adorable and it was just $4, so I grabbed it thinking I'd have a few years before I used it. Wrong! 





The fairy doors were bought a while back too, but I didn't know what to do with them so I just kept waiting for opportunity to knock. When the tooth fairy needs a place to stay for the night, that was our opportunity. Donald was outside at 10 pm putting these up.  We explained she just visits so this is like a hotel for her and maybe some other new fairy friends. (The fairies were looking at a book on Pixie Hollow so perhaps they are planning a trip together?) She asked how they got there and I said I thought the fairy and her fairy friends-Tink, Periwinkle, Felica (Stella named her FelicA, not Felicia) and the Get-Well Fairy sprinkled fairy dust on us to make sure we were asleep while they put up the doors.

The fairy doors cannot be opened because we don't have magic like the tooth fairy.





My parents were amazing at giving us magic as kids so I thought of them last night as I wrote the letter from the tooth fairy with my left hand which is exhausting btw! (My dad always wrote the letters with his left hand so I wouldn't notice the similarities in his & the tooth fairy's writing.)  Also, I thought I'd pass out from Sharpie fumes before I finished this letter. It takes sooo much longer and much more concentration to write with the non-dominant hand. 



Stella got $3 (since she's 3) & put a dollar in her 🐷 bank & plans to spend the other $2. Stella explained to us that she wanted the tooth fairy to leave her tooth for her so she did (written in pink pen but it's hard to see).

So happy with how this turned out. ❤️



Hair from her first hair cut on her first birthday and her first tooth are now together in this sterling silver round box.


Thursday April 13th: Update on Stella: While pouring the pound cake batter into the pan to bake she starts pestering me to lick the spoon. I told her to wait until I'm done and then she can have some. She makes this pouty "Hmmff" noise, then looks up at me with the saddest, pouty eyes and lips and then lets out this long toot as if on command. Then she howls with laughter. I told her, "I'm trading you in for a new kid!" 
Later that evening when Donald came home from work I say to him, "Daddy, did I tell you we're getting a new kid?"
Donald [to Stella]: "Why are we getting a new kid?!"
Stella: "Because I burped, tooted, made a mess and won't snuggle with Mama."

Moral of the story: She's perfectly fine. 
And truthfully, she hasn't complained a single time about her mouth. She's doing great.

I mean, how beautiful is my child?! Love my little snaggletooth.




No comments:

Post a Comment