Sunday, February 26, 2017

NYE 2016

On Wednesday the 28th of December, Donald and I headed down to MB for New Years.  We had an early supper at Mango Marley's then headed to Lookout Lounge for drinks and to catch up on all the local news/happenings.

We shut Lookout down at 9:15---on a Wednesday. Yeah, we know how to rock! We were pretty hungry and drunk and Donald said, "If only there was some late night eatery. Late night as in 9:15." It got dark just after 5 and we'd been there for a while so it just seemed so damn late. We headed back to our house where I proceeded to basically pass out on the chaise lounge while Donald made what we thought was pork fried rice from leftover pork chops. Turns out we had beef fried rice but didn't realize this until the next morning. Ehh, whatever. It was really good and I did none of the work. Well, I did clean the kitchen the next morning. But I didn't do crap the night before except for stuff my belly and pass back out.

The next day we attempted to eat lunch at a few different places out on Cape San Blas but they were either closed for the season or being remodeled and such. So we ended up eating at Coneheads. It wasn't exactly what we were looking for, but it was good. 

Afterwards we walked the almost empty coastline on Cape San Blas. There were a ton of dead ocean-washed trees everywhere. The water was already up pretty high and tide was still coming in so we couldn't hang out too long once we reached the point.




I ordered a few new Pura Vida bracelets to wear this summer but couldn't resist putting them on down here especially in the warm weather.








We headed back to Lookout for night #2 up there. As the sun went down it was getting cooler and cooler out. I ran home to change but came back in time to see the most vivid sunset from the deck.







Truly amazing.


We headed back to PSJ so I could get the shrimp tacos I'd been craving since the summer from Krazy Fish. We found out a mutual friend of ours from high school was in town so we went over to Larry and Lisa's to visit for a bit.

The next day it was quite chilly out. We had lunch at Castaways then headed up to Captain Bobby's to fish at his place on the intracoastal. He'd been telling Donald to come on up for a while so we finally took him up on his offer. It was cold out, but there wasn't any wind so it wasn't too bad. They had a fire burning in the firepit so I could stand by it to warm up if needed. I caught a few fish and drastically improved my casting in a short amount of time. I don't remember the last time I cast so this was good practice. It was pretty quiet out and very peaceful.



Bobby caught this Redfish right off of the bank but let me hold it for a photo op.


This was definitely the biggest catch of the day, but I think I may have caught the most. But this is what makes me happy. As long as I'm catching, regardless of size, I'm not bored.



Donald hinted at Lookout again, but I told him I couldn't do night #3 up there. So we showered and just stayed in. He picked up Crazy Beach Pizza and we watched Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

The next day (New Years Eve) we decided to put the boat in the water. It was still cold out and windy and no sun but we thought once we got out past the Cape, we'd be good. We were wrong. So wrong. We nearly beat ourselves to death for most of the day, got splashed so much and were freezing. But we did a lot of laughing so it was ok.  Finally we made it into the water access that connects to the intracoastal and our faces dried. Then we discovered exactly how much salt was on our faces. It dried and it felt as though we'd been Botox'd.


This was obviously much calmer but it was super boring for me. We did sit and eat sandwiches then ventured up the the  T where the access way and intracoastal meet.  I ended up catching the only fish of the day and that had been hours before in open water.



I finally broke the news to Donald that I was bored and really wanting to just sit and read a magazine but I didn't want to be rude. I also could have curled up on the bench seat, wrapped up with a blanket and taken a nap. Plus, we were cold and wet and I just wanted to sit down and stop rocking. Also, it was New Years Eve and we imagined it would be a long night. Finally we started making our way back to the city ramp in PSJ.

We did catch a slight glimpse of the sunset on the way back out.




Jaycie made this indoor s'mores kit for me and Ginger for Christmas. I brought it down to the beach because I thought we might use it for the weekend. We were supposed to have guests (Kelly from Mulligans and her bf) for NYE, but they cancelled on Thursday morning.  


We showered and decided to do the shuttle buses to celebrate New Years in both time zones. We parked at Lookout and met up with Karen and Allan for a bit. Then we hopped on a bus and headed to Mango Marley's with hopes of making it to PSJ faster than just doing straight from LL. This was not the case, but we did eventually make it to PSJ. We did the downtown bar very briefly then walked over to Haughty Heron for the rest of the time. They had music outside which was where we spent the majority of our time.  


We headed back over to MB around 11:30 so we wouldn't get stuck in Eastern time and risk missing the Central time zone New Years countdown.  We got dropped off at Lookout and walked in the karaoke bar around 11:45 to hear them doing the 10...9....8...countdown. I checked both my watch and phone and gave a few people around me WTF looks. They just shrugged their shoulders. So I walked back outside to find D just before the real countdown. I'd stopped drinking before we left HH so I was good to drive. We then drove home and drove the even shorter distance to Toucans for the central time zone New Year countdown. They had club music on the deck (not our scene) and a Southern Rock/Country band inside. They kept playing half of the well-known Lynard Skynard songs and it was getting old. Plus, there was this SUPER drunk (drugged?) girl just ricocheting off of everyone which was making a lot of folks mad. We decided to leave and just go back home.  It was 1:30 by the point anyway. But then the short party bus with the stripper pole pulled up.  Donald suggested we ride for the hell of it until they kick us off. So we walked up and found Karen, Allan, Sandra and Gordon (a British couple who are friends of Karen and Allan's that we'd met earlier in the evening) on the bus. They ended up getting off the bus and I offered to drive everyone home. They invited us over. But first we ran home to grab the s'more's kit, leftover pizza and drinks, then buzzed back over.  We ended up sitting outside on their back patio until 4 am. 

After sleeping late, we had lunch at The Fish House on New Years Day. We had popcorn shrimp, fries and slaw. Not exactly the typical pork, greens, beans and cornbread meals that we are used to, but super delicious. 

I'm pretty sure this is the day we finally made it down to the beach only for it to start raining about 10 minutes later. 

While at the beach I took some time each day to do some adult coloring. Since it was still technically Christmastime I thought this one was appropriate to color. 


One afternoon while D was out (possibly NYD), I did a ton of cleaning up in my emails. I hardly have time to sit down for a real extended amount of time to do that so I enjoyed this as it meant crossing things off my to-do list and purging.

Monday we did our usual cleaning/tidying up process and had lunch at Shipwreck before heading back to Sylvester to pick up Stella. We were supposed to just have supper at Don and Wanda's and then continue our drive up to Atlanta that evening but bad storms were moving in about suppertime. Luckily, Donald was able to get a meeting moved from Tuesday to Wednesday and we spent the night.  I am so thankful for this. Tornadoes actual came through Albany and parts of Worth County that evening. In fact, one passed through a few miles (maybe closer as they said at one point it felt like the roof may lift off while I was in the shower) from their house. We got to see some of the destruction on the ride up Hwy 33 Tuesday morning. 

Our trip to the beach was nice. It was good to get away and re-connect and just have some down time.  I'm looking forward to our next trip to our beach house.

No comments:

Post a Comment