Sunday, February 26, 2017

Donald's 36th Birthday

Back before the holidays got all cranked up, Stella learned about the seasons, more specifically winter and how it can snow during the winter. She really wanted to see snow so Donald mentioned us possibly going North (Tennessee or N.C.) for his birthday since the possibility of snow would be greater up in the mountains. Since we'd already commited to going somewhere with The Bratcher's for Jason's birthday in February we opted to not travel  in January. We'd considered going over to Athens so we could spend some time with Michael and also go out Saturday evening for Jessica Rogers birthday, but ultimately we just stayed in Atlanta. I wanted to go to a few new restaurants, perhaps head down to Ponce City Market and just spend time together as a family for the whole weekend. 

On Friday Donald cooked supper. I was supposed to do that, but he came in from work and got right to it. So I let him.

Saturday morning was just miserable out. It was cold and windy and rainy-no, wait. It was flooding. A perfect morning to just be lazy. But we had one of Stella's classmates, Andrew's birthday party at X-drenaline. We went to that and then just down the road to La Carreta Mexican Restaurant for some amazingly delicious food.  We also went to Goodwill (Donald's suggestion) so he could attempt to find something plaid to wear for our Burns party the next weekend.  Stella loves Goodwill-a lot of things are at her level, but one of her favorites things about this place are the shoes. The girl loves her some shoes. So she tried on a few pair and clip-clopped around the place. 


For supper Saturday, I made beer and bratwurst cheese soup. So good. And weather/winter appropriate.

Sunday morning I made French toast, bacon and fruit salad for breakfast.

Donald's birthday was on Monday but we celebrated it on Sunday with dinner and dessert. We grilled the 2" thick T-bones my parents gifted us for Christmas and loaded twice-baked potatoes. I think both weekend dinners were quite manly which is what I was going for.

I originally wanted to do some sort of Oreo/Cookies 'n' Cream dessert, but ultimately decided on banana pudding which Donald also adores.  The pudding was homemade completely (not just the cook and serve box kind, thank you very much) and the whipped cream was made fresh.  Stella helped with the placement of the 'Nilla wafers. She tried to take credit for making the whole thing, but then Donald gave her a look and she confessed that she helped me.


I don't know what happened to all of my birthday candles (misplaced at a softball group function, perhaps?) but I found 2 already burned ones near the matches and those worked when we sang "Happy Birthday" to Daddy.


Sweet kisses for Daddy. I've said it before and I'll say it again. This girl's sun rises and sets for this man. 



This weekend was one of the few weekends we spent the entire thing together. That's a rarity around here. Usually, one of us wants/needs to run out for something or I take Stella to a party while Donald does something around the house, etc. But not this time. I had a feeling since Donald's actual birthday was on Monday and we spent every waking moment together over the weekend, he'd want some free time that night after work. And I was right.  The weekend wasn't all rainbows and butterflies, but it was such a blessing to be able to be together so much to celebrate our wonderful guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment