Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Girls Beach Weekend

Our first annual Softball Wives Girls Trip in August was so much fun we had to do it again. So I invited everyone to our beach house for some adult time.  I drove to Sylvester on Thursday March 17th and dropped Stella off at my parents. I hung out for a bit, then continued my drive to the beach house.  

I passed this gorgeous sky and field on the way down.


I got to the house around 8:30. Kelsie and Laura arrived next around 10, while Melissa and Britany didn't show up until after midnight due to traffic/wreck problems on both 400 and the downtown connector.

Friday morning it was mostly overcast. We walked down to the beach for a short visit, then walked over to Mexico Beach Doughnuts for "breakfast."  We ordered way too many, ate half on them on the walk back and then the rest were gone by nightfall.  

Both Melissa and Britany had a bit of work to do on Friday so we stayed close to home. We had lunch at Mango Marley's and while we were dining, the sun peaked through and teased us. But after lunch, it started raining and continued until sometime in the night. We ended up opening the back sliding glass door and window on the front door to get a breeze through the house. It was cool out and just steadily rained for hours. We just piled into the living room on the chaise lounges and floor and talked, shared stories, got to know each other better and laughed a whole lot.

That evening we made a quick trip up to Gulf Foods for our antipasto platter which has also become tradition.  I ran across these layered beauties while browsing. #southernladygoals


Antipasto Platter


The next morning's weather was similar to how it had been the day before, but a few hours later, it cleared up to be gorgeous out.  Laura made yummy pancakes and bacon for breakfast. This was the only meal consumed at the actual dining room table.

There was actually a better chance of rain on Saturday than there had been on Friday so we all expected to be on the beach for a few hours, max. The sun never wavered, we stayed put and we all ended up getting burnt in some capacity.

We saw this inventive man pulling his passed-out-in-a-car seat grandchild up and down the beach.


The water wasn't pretty, but it didn't matter-it was too cold to get in anyways.


So happy!


I told Kelsie she appeared so happy with this colorful rainbow umbrella hovering over her.


Melissa brought sandwich meat and chicken salad so me and her headed up to the house for a potty break and to make lunch for everyone.


So, my entire back got burnt and Melissa's entire front got toasted. Britany and Kelsie got slightly burnt here and there while Laura ended up with some weird splotchy red marks that we can only guess came from her spray-on sunscreen.

We ended up grabbing everything leftover from the fridge, basically dumping it on the counter and stove and everyone grabbing what they wanted.  We pulled the coffee table back over to the middle of the floor and sat around running our mouths. We played Cards Against Humanity and laughed so, so much.

Sunday morning, everyone cleared out pretty early which meant I had the place to myself.




I tidied up, ran an errand or two, then headed to Mr. G's Taco Stand for lunch. It turned out to just be him working and a few big orders came in. I had to wait for quite a while, but it's what I wanted, I wasn't starving or in a hurry and I knew it would be good and fresh.  Someone finally arrived to help out and when my order was ready, she handed me back $5 plus gave me a slice of key lime pie to say sorry for the wait and thanks for business. 

I went back to the house and turned on the TV for the first time since I'd been there. I ate lunch on the couch and then decided to head down to the beach. It was cool out and really windy. I stayed down there for about an hour, but couldn't do it any longer. It was so windy. It felt as though I was getting sandblasted. My face hurt from the sand, wind and sun and I had sand everywhere.


I sat at the house in complete silence for hours just reading and texting. Then when it was time for the sun to set, I grabbed a blanket and went back down to the beach.  I'm glad I did because it was spectacular, but even sitting there for 20 minutes or so was hard. Again, the wind. But also because it was quite chilly. I was freezing.









The next morning I washed dishes and laundry, then headed to Sylvester to pick up my sweet girl. Unfortunately Kim, Tiffany and Megan couldn't make the trip but I'm hoping next time we can all get together for another wonderful weekend away from husbands and kids. 


No comments:

Post a Comment