Friday, November 18, 2016

Operation Shoebox

Two years ago (I think), I purchased items for a Operation Christmas Child Shoebox.  Last  year we didn't do it so this year I remembered early and talked with Stella. I told her what we were going to do and why and then asked her if she wanted to pick out stuff for a girl or a boy. She said she wanted to one for both. 
After school one day we went to The Dollar Tree and picked out 1.4 million items for our girl and boy. Seriously, I spent the most money I've ever spent at The Dollar Tree-$75 and some change. I originally thought "My Lord, that means I had 75 items. How is this even possible?!" But then I got home and looked at the receipt. It was $71 and then with tax it equalled the $75. But then I started weeding through things and realized about 20-25 of those items weren't for the shoebox, they were for the house or personal items. In the end, each shoebox got between 20-25 items and it was slam full. I mean, I could barely squeeze a Q-tip in after we packed them full.  The best part? Stella was super excited to help pick out stuff for each girl and boy and she never once asked for a single item for herself. When we got home she was tired and took a nap. I got a little emotional looking through everything and thinking about how selflessly she selected each item and the thought she put into selecting each item. She picked out stuff she liked and knew that someone else would like it too. I couldn't ask for more.

Girl on the left, boy on the right.


Girl
6 pencils
3 pens
4 erasers-farm animal themed
Fish Pencil sharpener
Notepad
Beach ball
Paddleboard
3-D train puzzle
Hairbrush
Ponytails
Headband
Hello Kitty toothbrush
Toothpaste
Flossers 
Mermaid doll
Purple water bottle
Elsa washcloth
Finding Dory tissues
Pink Flashlight with 4 batteries
Orange Harmonica
Purple Jump rope
Orange Yo-yo
Sun catcher paint set-fox
Elsa puzzle
Pink drawstring bag



Boy:
6 pencils
3 pens
4 erasers-took themed
Fish Pencil sharpener
Notepad
Beach ball
Paddleboard
3-D dump truck puzzle
Small 4-wheeler
Spiderman Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Flossers
6 pack of combs
Green water bottle
Spiderman washcloth
Finding Dory tissues
Red Flashlight with 4 batteries
Green Harmonica
Green Jump rope
Green Yo-yo
Sun catcher paint set-fish
The Lion Guard puzzle
Green drawstring bag



We dropped off our shoeboxes yesterday at Smyrna FUMC. 



The lady accepting them thanked Stella and explained that because of her, a little girl and boy would be getting gifts for Christmas. She gave Stella a sticker that read "I packed a shoebox" and then gave her a bag of a candy/cereal mix. I think its called Muddy Buddies or White Trash, Puppy Chow, they have different names but it's cereal, red & green M&M's, powdered sugar, and peanut butter. She loved it.




As I said above, Stella really enjoyed this and gave so selflessly. I look forward to doing this again year after year with her. 'Tis the season!

No comments:

Post a Comment