Friday, November 18, 2016

Front Porch Re-do

So yesterday evening I got the urge to rearrange the front porch. I love decorating and design and I especially love doing this with my own things. I mean, of course I love finding something new to incorporate into a space, but it can feel that way if you take something from one part of your house and move it someplace new.


before
I'd bought these crates a few months back for $4 a piece off of a facebook yardsale site. I was hoping to mount them to the wall in the office to use for storage and decorative use, but when I got them home I realized they weren't as sturdy as the one I'd purchased from Michael's a while back and they weren't as clean. They were used for storing/shipping produce. I liked their rustic look and wanted to use them someplace and I thought they would look cute decorated for Fall.  

after

This table and it's chairs have sat in this spot since they were purchased off of craigslist (I think) many years ago. Right after we bought the house I believe. The table top was crap so we removed it and Donald put edging around a piece of plywood. I painted it white, the base and chairs red. We don't sit at this much. It's mainly for decorative use. But occasionally we'll eat out here or Stella will color at it. I do like having it out here though and like what it's adds to the space.


before
Both ladders came from Goodwill. The wooden ladder on the right is mostly used to hold stuff or I'll put it in the garden for the cucumbers or squash to climb up. It's not terribly sturdy and the steps aren't very wide so I don't feel comfortable letting Stella climb on it much. The rusted metal one is very sturdy and she's climbs up this thing almost every morning to wave by to Daddy. She also gets on it to wave by to anyone leaving our house. And if you don't stop-she gets so upset. I should probably paint it, but I like how it looks all rusted and honestly, I don't want to spend all that time sanding away rust. Some things I'm ok putting work and time into, but this is not one of them.

The cast iron stove was given to me by my Nina. It was her late husband's. We don't use it as a fireplace (liked I'd hope to do when we first got it) because the bottom is rusted out. So it just sits here looking pretty. 

The rusted plant stand was given to me by a family I nannied for. I'd commented on it several times about liking it and needing someplace to put my plants at our old house. The mom never used it and it was just sitting in her garage so she gave it to me. I love it. And see? It matches the rusty ladder. 
before
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I moved the crates to where the table used to be. This way they are a focal point when you walk up the steps. In the old spot-to the left along the side of the house it was just something you walked by but didn't really take notice of.  Basically, the crates got stacked here right after I bought them and I never moved them.  

after
I LOVE how this looks and think I'll like decorating these crates seasonally.
after
I used a few old colanders as planters for some succulents. The bottom one was devoured by a thirsty squirrel which pissed me off. But I get it, it's super dry and they are looking for water anywhere since creeks have dried up and there obviously aren't any puddles. 
So I now have two bowls of water out-this one pictured here primarily for Bandit when he gets out of the fence, but also for a passing squirrel. And another smaller one is up on the railing.
after
The table was moved over where the ladders and plants were. I put out three mason jars-1 tall, 2 shorter ones with battery powered tea lights.

after
I moved the ladybug light outside on a little outdoor table. It's nice having some light at night when we come up the steps. I don't like using the front porch light because not only does it announce "Nope, no one is home!" But it also attracts beetles and moths which inevitably get in the house. So irritating.  The old mailbox is an umbrella holder.
after
after
Aren't these colorful flowers the cutest? They are made from huge aluminum cans. My mom got Stella two for her birthday. They are in a planter box not pictured just to the left of those two red pots. Then she got us three more. We put these two here and the other one is by the big oak tree but it doesn't want to stay put and keeps falling over. 
after

I really like how everything looks and Stella does too. She helped moved stuff with me. Stella  loves to decorate too which is nice. I told her a few days ago, "Soon we'll put the Fall stuff away and get to decorate for Christmas. Are you going to help me?" Her response, "Of course I am, Mommy!"


No comments:

Post a Comment