Tuesday, August 4, 2015

My 32nd year

This is how it started..........
About 8 weeks ago, I get an email from Donald stating we will be doing something Saturday July 11th, it involves and overnight stay and that's all I need to know. He put me in charge of finding a babysitter. 

Thursday he tells me we'll be outside for a while, then I'll need something semi-casual/nice to wear that evening. I'd seen the Atlanta Food Truck Festival on facebook or groupon or somewhere and suspected we might be going to it.

Saturday rolls around and my parents are up with my Grandpa. We get in the truck to leave and back out. Donald says, we are going to a Food Truck Festival in Piedmont Park. Great, but I'd left my hat at the house. So he turns around, I run back inside, grab it, yell, "We're going to food trucks at Piedmont. See ya later" and run back out. On the drive I also find out we are staying at the W Midtown. I'd stayed there before about 4 1/2 years ago for JP's Bachelorette party and remember loving it and the area. 

We arrived around noon and attempted to get a room early to put our stuff. There wasn't one available but they did take our items and valet the truck. We walked over to Tap for a little snack to eat. We'd done the food truck thing before and knew it would be crowded and with the heat and us drinking some we didn't figure an empty stomach would be a good idea. While we are waiting on food, Donald's phone rings. He talks, hangs up, then tells me Kim and Brian are joining us. I know they are always up for leaving Grayson and having a good time so I thought, "Oh good, the four of us will have a good time."  We eat, walk back to the hotel and meet up with them. As we're talking, I hear a familiar voice. The voice of Jason Bratcher perhaps? I turn around to see him and Kristi in the lobby. Kristi says, "Surprise."

We head up to the rooms for chat for a bit while phones charge and then began walking to Piedmont. At noon we noticed a steady line of people with their blankets and lawn chairs heading in that direction so we expected a crowd, but we were shocked. There was a line just to get in that had probably 200 people in it. Donald had heard about the festival, but didn't do a ton of research and didn't know who had to have a ticket to get in. That was the ticket line. We decide to walk around to see how bad the lines are. They were bad. And it was very hot. Donald estimated the line just to get in would be over an hour then we would have the wait at each and every truck. We decided it was just not meant to be and headed back towards the W. Since Tap wasn't really busy we said we'd eat there. Donald and I weren't starving but the other two couples with us were. Then Donald's phone rings. He says, "We need to head towards the pond to meet some other people."  Up walks Michael and his friend Taylor. What a surprise because I thought Michael was supposed to be moving. He said he'd told me that to throw me off. 

We walk in at Tap around 3:15 only to discover that their kitchen is closed from 3:00-4:00. Of course! Finally 4:00 rolls around and we all order appetizers. Donald is talking in code to Kim, Brian and Kristi. He stops talking and looks at me and says, "Do you want to know what we are doing later or do you want me to keep talking in code?" I reply, "It doesn't matter. Whatever you want to tell me." So he does. He says, "We are going to the roller derby at 7:30. We were supposed to have reservations at Two Urban Licks at 5:30 but it's been a nightmare getting in touch with anyone. I've been trying all week but they don't open until 5:30. Then they had to put me in contact with their event coordinator. And she wanted me to sign a contract. I tried explaining this wasn't a formal event, just a birthday party, but she insisted all reservations must sign a contract. But this was a contract to spend $50 per person and I was making the reservations for about 15 so we're talking an $800 contract. I didn't want people to feel like they had to spend that amount even though I know we easily can on drinks, apps, the main meal and dessert. So I guess we aren't going there." Kristi pulled out her phone and showed me the facebook event Donald had set up for the surprise party. It was dated April 30th. I could not believe he'd been planning this for over 2 1/2 months. 

The plan had been to drive or take a cab/Uber down to Two Urban Licks, then walk from there to The Yaarab Shrine for the Roller Derby. But since we weren't going to TUL, we decided to just grab something to eat somewhere close by. Since no fancy restaurant was in order, everyone just stayed in their regular clothes. We went back to the hotel to freshen up. Some stayed down at the bar. I ordered a blackberry mojito and it was amazing. 


Bob and Britany showed up. Then I heard something about Justin, JP and Cory coming too. Then the hunger set in for those who hadn't eaten much more than appetizers at Tap. Turns out there was some miscommunication between Justin and Donald and Justin, JP and Cory ended up at Tin Lizzy's waiting on a phone call. I said, "Let's just eat there" Donald asked but was told there was a line out the door. He tried somewhere else that was within walking distance-an hour and a half wait. Someone said, "I saw a sign for Moe's or Chick Fil-A just at the corner. Let's just grab something quick. So we all took off walking except for Brian and Donald. Donald said he was so frustrated that nothing was working out so he was just staying there to drink at the bar. 

Well the Moe's was inside some business mall thing and the door were locked and Chick Fil-A was closed. This was a Saturday night at 6-6:30. We were so confused. Then we see Tamarind Seed Thai and head in. A man asks, "How many?" Someone replies, "8." My brother said his eyes got as big as could be and said, "8?" with such shock and disbelief. As though that was the largest crowd they even seen. Michael says, "It's as though we said '8000' instead of 8." We imagined him walking into the kitchen and yelling, "Party of 8. Fry all the rice! Now!!!" And because we were all a little tipsy it was hilarious. I call Donald to update him and find out how we are supposed to get from the W to the shrine. He couldn't believe that both  Moe's and CFA were closed.  By the time we ordered it was nearly 7. We scarfed down our food in about 10 minutes. We ran back to the hotel and jumped in a minivan cab with our driver, Abraham.



 10 of us piled into this cab, 11 if you count Abraham. Donald rode shotgun and took our picture. I rode to the shrine with the seat belt buckle up my butt.  It was such a fun ride. Both windows on the sliding door rolled down and we were hollering and making all kind of noise. When we pulled up, the door opened and we began filing out. A lady started counting us. Then Donald looks around and says, "You can tailgate here?!" People were drinking, grilling out, playing games. We walk up to go inside and he sees a sign for "BYOB." Then Donald yells, "BYOB?!?! I did NOT research this enough!"  We walk in, no one even checked our tickets in fact, and find someone to get us seats together. She moves us from one side of the shrine to another and seats us and we then realize that Brian is missing. Donald says, "Oh, he'll probably walk up with a keg on a set of hand trucks." Everyone laughed. But he wasn't far off. He walked in with two 12 packs of beer-Sweetwater 420 and Tecate.  We basically just watched what was going on and slowly picked up on how the game worked. It was really interactive, physical, loud and fun to watch. Donald started rooting for the blue team because he found the scorer at that particular time to be hot. Sounds about right.  I'd love to go back. Unfortunately, one of the derby girls got badly injured-she landed flat on her back right in front of us and didn't move. Almost immediately the entire crowd of people went silent and every player and referee dropped to one knee. It was amazing how quiet it got in there. EMT's rushed to her side. We think her breath got knocked out because she wasn't moving.  A minute or two later, she took a huge deep breath and then started shaking all over. I think she suddenly felt the pain or was going into shock or something. They called the game and the red team was winning at that point. She had to be brought out on a stretcher so they asked everyone to exit on the far side of the building. 
We hung outside for a while both trying to figure out what to do next and also to let the crowd dissipate.  While waiting around, all of the girls were in one group chatting and the guys were in another. One of the guys looked up and saw this girl making out, I mean heavily making out with this guy. She was dressed similar to Britany and so whoever it was that spotted her said, "What's Britany doing making out with that guy?!" Bob's mouth dropped and then someone else looked over and actually saw Britany standing with us. Then the guys pointed her out and told us what just happened. Britany said she was ok with it because the girl was skinnier than her. We all had quite the laugh all the while the mistaken chick and her beau felt each other up outside of the Yaarab Shrine. Guess roller girls get them in the mood. 

Michael called for an Uber and we rode back in a black Suburban to the W. He was hesistant to pull out because he said there were too many for his vehicle, but Donald made it clear that we weren't getting out and he needed to drive safe. I could hear the frustration in his voice and I knew he didn't want another thing to screw up for the night.  For some reason we started singing the intro to "Fresh Prince" and when we piled out of the Suburban we were mid first verse. 

We walked down to Tin Lizzy's to get drinks and late dinner. We had to wait at the bar for a bit, then we got seated under THE loudest speaker ever-one which was playing club music. It was so weird. Club music in a Mexican-ish restaurant a 11 o'clock. Everyone was yelling to each other. I was hoarse in the morning from all of the yelling and talking throughout the evening. 






After dinner we walked back to the hotel and met back up with Michael and Taylor. They had stayed behind at the W since they'd ran into Michael's friend Sally while we were sitting in Tamarind Seed. She was in town for the same food truck festival and staying at the W. 
We grabbed drinks from the bar and lounged around inside for a while. Slowly everyone started making their way back up to the rooms. Michael and Taylor eventually left after playing around with the idea of staying the night. 

The next morning I texted Kim and Kristi about meeting up for brunch. We grabbed coffee downstairs in the lobby and just set out walking to see if we could find a place without a super long wait. We walked up to South City Kitchen and were immediately seated. It was a birthday miracle. We got to laughing at brunch because everything which had been planned the night before didn't go as planned at all and this which was completely impromptu, went perfect. Of course.

I'd wanted us to get massages afterwards, but when I called mid week they were already booked up. We comtemplated the movies, but decided with it being so hot out and a Sunday, they would be super packed. We really didn't want to head back to the house so soon with a free babysitter=grandparents, but we just couldn't think of what to do, so we did. It was best we were close because my cousin stopped by to pick up my Grandpa. Then the door got shut and my Grandpa couldn't operate the child proof handles and was essentially locked inside while my parents and cousin were locked out.  There was a lot of yelling through the door and Stella got all upset because she's not used to being alone with my Grandpa. We came  home and she just lost it. We both came in her room with her to soother her but ultimately she wanted Donald. They fell asleep and I went out in the living room to talk with my parents and relax. 



I'd found out a month or so ago that you can get into the Georgia Aquarium for free if it's your birthday. We decided to go then since Stella would also be free and we'd just have to pay for the one ticket. Donald met us down there for a few hours. He wanted us to spend the whole day together as a family but he was really busy at work so he could just come for a bit. I'm so grateful that he has a somewhat flexible schedule. It's the best, especially with Stella.

Donald and Stella went through the tunnel underneath the Penguins.


We checkout out the penguins from a porthole which Stella loved.




We visited Sea Dragons. 

And saw this Octopus-he can squeeze through a hole the size of a quarter. That's comforting! 



We got to see the Beluga Whales, starfish, a sea turtle and lots of fish. We sat down on the other side of the big tunnel where you can view everything and stayed there for a while just taking it all in. I expected Stella to be more enthusiastic about the whole trip but she seemed pretty indifferent about it all. Kinda like, "Well, I've seen one fish, so I've seen them all." I mean, I think she enjoyed herself, I was just expecting more of a show from her. 

After the aquarium, me and Stella said by to Daddy and walked down to Johnny Rockets for lunch. Then we walked over to Centennial Olympic Park so Stella could play in the fountains.



I'd brought her swimsuit, but left it in the car and didn't feel like walking back through the parking deck to get it. So I just let her run around in her clothes. She loved it-as I expected. But then she got knocked down and hit the back of her head. She was on the other side of the fountains and pretty upset. The girl who knocked her down, or who Stella ran into (not sure exactly) helped her up as I was running to see about her. Later, the girl came over to apologize. 


She said she wanted to go play on the playground so we headed that way. Stella had a blast on these spinning chairs. She was laughing so hard at some points, I thought she might fly off.




It started getting windy and pretty dark out, then the rain began. We ran back towards the parking deck but ended up taking it slow and just splashing in puddles since we were both soaked. It was one of the best moments of the day-just seeing her ecstatic in the raindrops. I teared up a little bit, to be honest. 
After changing her into dry clothes and hitting the road in the pouring rain, she passed out in no time. We got home and snoozed together in the recliner. 
Donald wanted to fix me a fancy supper but since he had softball that night, I told him to just wait until Friday. 
That afternoon he went to Harry's and fixed the most amazing snapper with this lemon-vinegar-caper-prosciutto-white wine sauce. Stella enjoyed it too. 

Every  year I get happier and happier so I always welcome a birthday. This years off and on two week celebration was perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment