Friday, August 28, 2015

Banana Split Snack Mix


A month or so ago, I bought these two boxes of Annie's crackers on sale at Sprouts, I think. They were 2 for $5 or BOGO, something like that. I got them for Stella to try. She's always loved graham crackers and she'll inhale pretty much anything that's chocolate so I suspected they would be a hit. I put them in the pantry and kind of glanced around at what I had, then went about life.  Later on the wheels started turning. 


I grabbed a bag of Simply Balanced (Target) freeze dried strawberries and a bag of Simple Truth (Kroger) banana chips out of the pantry.  I looked at it and thought "I  have the ingredients for an abstract banana split." 


When I made these the first time, I measured each ingredient individually before dumping into the bag. So basically a 1/4 cup honey grahams into the bag, a 1/4 cup chocolate thrown into the bag, etc.  That way is a lot more time consuming, but it does allow for equal parts honey and chocolate grahams, strawberry and banana pieces.  Today we just poured in the remainder of our ingredients and Stella helped to mix everything.


I handed Stella a baggie in the car and she scarfed these down super fast. The chocolate grahams and strawberries went first so next time I might just make these snacks with those two ingredients, after all, strawberries and chocolate are such a classic pairing.  But since I still had about half a box/bag left of my ingredients I decided to go ahead and make 
more snack bags. 






We did this out on our screened in porch since the weather is so nice and she could help me mix as we still don't have our IKEA-hacked learning tower built 
yet to help at the counter tops. 
Plus, the light for photos is so much better out here. 


Here she is stealing a strawberry.....or five!


I love that she loves to help me cook and make things.


The only change up I did was add in a few tablespoons of mini semi-sweet chocolate chips to five of the bags. Those will stay in the pantry for her to grab to snack on at the house or on the go. The other four will go into the car to keep when she gets snacky in the car. Melted chocolate chips would not be fun for me to clean out of the car.  This took about five minutes to do and Stella loved helping.


No comments:

Post a Comment