Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Finally, some sunshine!

The sun actually shined last Monday (the 5th). What?! Yeah, It was cold out, but beautiful. Tuesday turned out to be about the same as Monday, but a little warmer. (See below)
Wednesday and Thursday it was in the 10's in the am and only rose to the 30's for the rest of the day. I feel like we haven't really seen a blue sky kinda day in weeks. It's either been raining, cloudy and gray, cold or all of the above. So we took advantage of the nice weather and headed to Nickajack Creek for a walk.

Stella rode in on my back so we could avoid the majority of the mud and the boardwalk, but walked the trail a really good ways. 




Like the outfit? Donald says she looks like a little Swedish baby in the track suit. Whatever that means?!







She thought this was a good place to sit down and rest. 




She also wanted to stand on all of these. 


Not sure if she wanted to walk on the boards in her own accord or if it was because she saw Bandit doing it, but I had to hold her hand to help her since she doesn't quite understand the whole "one foot in front of the other" deal. 



She probably was copying Bandit. He has always walked on the boards down here or anywhere else he can and she's always watching him. 




I love mushrooms. There's just something that's so cute about them. I always take 'shroom photos.



Seeing this tree reminded of our carving that's tucked back deep in the woods of Worth County. Funny thing is, I've never noticed this tree before.




Here she is excavating a nice piece of gravel.




The water was really high due to all of the rain we've had recently.




I think I take a picture of this every time I walk down here. That and the white birch trees against the blue sky. Love that contrast.








I just love this covered bridge. I remember the first time I "surprised" Donald by taking him here to see this. I was so thrilled to find out about this many years ago. I still think it's so awesome to just be minutes from this since we don't have anything like this back home.



A little history for ya.



On the walk back, I noticed this fallen tree which looked like it had been laying here for many, many hundreds of years left by the Native Americans. Doubtful right?! It looked like the ones they hollow out for canoes. Or quite possibly slides? I said to Stella that it looked like a slide and then she repeated when we passed any tree that was at an angle. Turns out, there were quite a few of those.   



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tuesday, I took Stella to the zoo. We hadn't been since October (I think) and we were dying to be outside and get some Vitamin D. It was chilly, but not too terribly cold. And the sunshine helped.

I parked up near the entrance, but on the way in, we spotted two mounted police officers. I got our stuff out and loaded up the stroller and walked towards them. They saw her waiving and saying, "Hi Horsey" and approached her. She became very unsure the closer they got though. I guess it would be confusing to a child to see a horse far off and think they are one size only to see them grow bigger and bigger the closer you get to them. She said hello, as did they and then we entered the zoo.

Since a lot of the animals at the zoo are native to Africa and much warmer climates, that meant some weren't out for us to view. 

The flamingos are the first exhibit. Stella immediately wanted out of the stroller. She ended up walking almost as much as I did. 

I didn't think I was ever going to get her off of this giraffe. 



She didn't quite get the hang of the stick your head in the hole picture board. 



We did get to see all of the gorillas including babies and Stella just loved hugging and kissing on this mama and baby gorilla.


We enjoyed lunch indoors-Stella barely ate anything. Too much going on I guess. Once again, so glad I didn't buy her a separate lunch. 
We did our usual tour of the petting zoo. We got to see the kangaroos and the little Joey. It's a lot bigger now from when he/she was all tucked in it's mommy's pouch back in October.

Stella had the most literal version of a freak out that I've ever seen....over a goat. She loves the goats and sheep (baas as she calls them.)  It's seriously her favorite thing at the zoo when the splash park isn't on. In the past, she's wanted to pet/brush/hug/kiss all of the goats and sheep. On this particular day we walked in, I sat her down, she eyed a goat, walked towards it and then turned around to see another goat approaching her.  Out of her lungs came the most high pitched scream I've ever heard escape her lungs. She burst into tears and literally leap into my arms. I mean, she seriously used the rest of my body as a ladder to get up in my arms and clung to me as though her life depended on it. 
And me? I couldn't help but laugh. I know, mean. What a horrible, horrible mother I am.  I really just couldn't help it. She calmed down and I was able to put her down but she was very cautious with them. 

We headed over to the carousel and Stella chose the warthog to ride.


We hit up the playground and then hit the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment