Thursday, June 1, 2017

Forest Friday

On Friday, May 19, the first Friday of unofficial Summer, I took Stella to High Shoals Falls in Dallas. Our friend, Kate told us about it so we decided to check it out. It was a perfect day, not too hot, and of course the shade helped with making it feel even better out. Apparently, we weren't the only ones with the idea to check this place out. When we arrived, there were five other moms with about 15 children between them.  They way they were talking lead me to believe they were a homeschool group. Stella played with one of the girls for a bit, but eventually most of that crew left. Stella ran around barefoot in her bathing suit for hours and enjoyed every minute of it. 










View from the top







I've been carrying around my hammock in my backpack for a while hoping to find a good place to set it up. Finally the moment arrived....




Stella went all the way to the top of this hill by herself. She would have kept exploring if I didn't yell for her to return. Down, down she goes...


I left the blanket in the car so we just picnicked inside the hammock instead of trekking back for it.

That face! It's like she smelled a toot!






Signs of a mini explorer


Off discovering new worlds or something like that.

The crazy loud and rambunctious crew below. Can you see my hammock between the trees?


Obviously some rainfall a few days prior to our visit would have made this waterfall more waterfall-y versus a trickle, but it was still cool to see only 45 minutes from our house.









Stella conked out in the car about half-way home. That hasn't happened in quite some time. I sat with her in my lap while for over an hour while she ever-so-gently breathed in and out on my chest like she used to as an infant and early toddler. You know, back when she napped regularly.  Eventually my bladder made me get up and I left her there in the chair to snooze some more. I think she ended up napping for over 3 hours. It was 7:00 pm when she came walking into the living room. She'd had a very busy week and clearly needed the rest. I needed the snuggles.



This place was great. Such a cool treat to find it so close to our home. Hoping we can take Donald back next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment